What Is A UTM Parameter? UTM parameters (sometimes called UTM codes) are specific text strings that you can append to URLs that allow you track those URLs when they get clicked on. UTM parameters make Google Analytics pick up on the data in the code and log it with the pageview.
What are UTM parameters used for?
UTM parameters are short text codes that you add to URLs (or links) to help you track the performance of webpage or campaign. UTM parameters are a simple, straightforward, and reliable way to track traffic online.
What are the 5 UTM parameters?
The five types of UTM parameters
- utm_source. This tag identifies the source of your traffic (Facebook, search engine, newsletter, Linkedin, etc.).
- utm_medium. This UTM code specifies the medium, like cpc or newsletter, for example.
Where is UTM parameters in Google Analytics?
Google Analytics UTM campaign parameters can be found in the Reports section under Acquisition>Campaigns>All campaigns. Just log into your Google Analytics platform and scroll down to your Acquisition Section.
What are the standard UTM parameters?
There are five standard UTM values: campaign, source, medium, term, and content. Marketers add these at the end of their web page URLs before they promote them.
What UTM means?
UTM is the acronym for Universal Transverse Mercator, a plane coordinate grid system named for the map projection on which it is based (Transverse Mercator).
What does a UTM parameter help you identify?
A UTM parameter helps you identify which campaigns are most effective in producing positive or negative results in Google Analytics so that you can optimize your campaigns. You can pass five values through UTM Parameters to Google Analytics.
How do I add UTM parameters to Google ads?
How to enable UTM tracking in your Google Ads campaigns. Click the Campaigns tab and select the campaign you want to track. Click Settings — Additional settings (in the bottom) — Campaign URL options. Click Save.
What is a UTM medium?
UTM Medium — The type of traffic, or which kind of tool you used to get it. Medium is the higher level. This is actually the medium used to get the traffic: Social media, acquisition, website etc.
How do you generate UTM parameters?
How to Build UTM Codes in HubSpot
- Navigate to your Analytics Tools.
- Open the Tracking URL Builder.
- Open the Tracking URL form to create a new UTM code.
- Fill in each attribute of your UTM code and click “Create.”
- Use the shortened link in your marketing campaign.
- Measure your success.
How do I find my UTM link in Google Analytics?
How To Find UTM’s in Google Analytics
- Navigate to the Acquisition tab on the left side panel navigation.
- Inside, you’ll see the Campaigns link.
- Select All Campaigns.
- Above the list of Campaign Names, you’ll see a button that says “Secondary Dimension”.
- Click Secondary Dimension.
What is a UTM tracking link?
Urchin Tracking Module (UTM) codes are snippets of code — attached to the end of a URL — used to measure the effectiveness of digital marketing campaigns. They are also used to pinpoint specific sources of traffic to your website. UTM codes help you identify top-performing content based on your marketing goals.
How do I add UTM to Google Analytics?
How to use UTM tracking codes
- Install Google Analytics on your website.
- Visit Google’s free Campaign URL Builder page.
- Insert the website URL and campaign information.
- Create a unique UTM tracking code (aka campaign URL) for every ad or link.
- Use the UTM tracking codes in your marketing campaigns.
What is CPC UTM?
cpcis the type of traffic medium ( cost per click ). utm_tags is the name of the advertising campaign.
How does UTM parameters work?
“UTM parameters are simply tags that you add to a URL. When someone clicks on a URL with UTM parameters, those tags are sent back to your Google Analytics for tracking.”