How to use UTM tracking codes
- Install Google Analytics on your website.
- Visit Google’s free Campaign URL Builder page.
- Insert the website URL and campaign information.
- Create a unique UTM tracking code (aka campaign URL) for every ad or link.
- Use the UTM tracking codes in your marketing campaigns.
How do I track UTM links in Google Analytics?
To find your UTM data in Google Analytics, navigate to analytics.google.com » Acquisition » Campaigns » All Campaigns.
- Please note the different Primary Dimensions you can select to really dig into this data:
- The Primary Dimensions include Campaign, Source, Medium, and Source / Medium.
How does Google Analytics use UTM?
UTM parameters (sometimes called UTM codes) are specific text strings that you can append to URLs that allow you track those URLs when they get clicked on. UTM parameters make Google Analytics pick up on the data in the code and log it with the pageview.
How do I track my UTM link?
Once you add the UTM code to your campaign’s URL, you can track the performance in Google Analytics in a few different reports.
- Create a custom report under “Customization” > “Custom Reports”.
- Go to Acquisition → Overview → All Traffic → Source/Medium to view traffic.
Why is my UTM not showing in Google Analytics?
If your UTM tags disappear after the page loads, they are not working properly. If they remain at the end of the URL, it’s very likely that this information is captured and sent to Google Analytics.
How do I set up UTM?
Here’s how you’d go about building UTM codes in HubSpot.
- Navigate to your Analytics Tools.
- Open the Tracking URL Builder.
- Open the Tracking URL form to create a new UTM code.
- Fill in each attribute of your UTM code and click “Create.”
- Use the shortened link in your marketing campaign.
- Measure your success.
How do I know if UTM is working?
To test your UTM parameters, enter the tagged URL into your browser and see what happens.
- During HTTP to HTTPS redirect, UTM parameters are not passed in this case.
- It’s not a good idea to use “cpc” as a medium by default when tagging social media campaigns.
Does Google Analytics automatically track UTM?
Many third party tools have the option to automatically tag URLs using UTM variables. For example, Mailchimp, Buffer and Hootsuite all offer this functionality to paid subscribers. Google Ads users should already be aware that Google offers an auto-tagging feature within the platform which utilises UTM variables.
How do I set UTM parameters on Google ads?
How to enable UTM tracking in your Google Ads campaigns. Click the Campaigns tab and select the campaign you want to track. Click Settings — Additional settings (in the bottom) — Campaign URL options. Click Save.
Is UTM tracking accurate?
Whereas, tracking clicks and traffic sources with UTM parameters is 100% accurate. Once you have goals set up in Google Analytics, UTM parameters will also help you see exactly what activities are driving conversions.
How do I create a tracking link in Google Analytics?
Set up Google Analytics tracking
- Click your profile image at the top right, then select Account settings.
- Click Analytics tracking settings.
- Select Enable Google Analytics integration then enter the domains you want to track:
- Click Save analytics settings.
How do I track a source in Google Analytics?
To check traffic sources on specific pages:
- Log into Google Analytics.
- Click ‘Behaviour -> Overview’.
- Click the page you want to analyze.
- Click the Secondary dimension drop down menu.
- Within the drop down menu, click Acquisition -> Source (or medium, depending if you want to see general or specific traffic sources).
How do you make a trackable link?
Create a Trackable Link At the tip of your dashboard, click Social and then click Trackable Links. On the next page, you’ll see a text input box — this is where you will insert the URL you want people to be taken to when they click on the trackable link. When you’re ready, click Make it Trackable to continue on.
How do I create a custom UTM parameter?
Now that we have our Custom UTM Parameter defined let’s set up our Custom Dimension. Go to admin, navigate to the middle Property column and click on Custom Dimension under Custom Definitions. Click create +New Custom Dimension. Give the Custom Dimension a Name and call it Audience and set the Scope level to Session.
How do I fix UTM?
The first step to keeping your UTM tags consistent is to have a hierarchy defined and widely-used amongst your marketing team, agencies and vendors. This keeps everyone on the same page and prevents lots of unfair apples-to-oranges comparisons when reviewing your marketing analytics.
Can you hide UTM parameters?
How to hide the UTM parameters? You can use simple URL fragments and some Google Tag Manager tricks to hide the UTM parameters and still keep tracking different traffic sources with Google Analytics. For this, you can use a feature in Google Tag Manager, called the Lookup Table.